Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Grandkids

I did get to visit with the grandkids tonight. But we didn't get to spend much time together. I arrived 90 minutes late because traffic on Interstate 95 was screwed up. A trip that should have taken 30-40 minutes, took TWO HOURS! Amy had to drag all three kids to Brianna's lacrosse practice, which she would have avoided had I arrived on time. After I found the field, and located Amy and the kids, I just took Gaige (4) and Joey (9 months) back to Amy's house where we hung out with Klondike (my granddog) waiting for lacrosse practice to end.

Gaige spent about 15 minutes cleaning miniature M&Ms up off the kitchen floor after the ridiculously small container he was trying to open exploded. [That brought back memories of my son Eric, now 18, who did stuff like that periodically. One particularly memorable time was when he was about 11 and we were flying to South Dakota (I think). I bought him a bag of Skittles and he decided to open it on the plane without my assistance.] Gaige was a good sport about picking up the candies before Joey could get to them. I didn't tell Amy about that incident. I thought she might yell at me for letting him have M&Ms so close to bedtime. Of course, um, he really had to twist my arm hard to get M&Ms.

While Gaige gathered up the candies, Joey and I wrestled. It wasn't really wrestling. I was laying on my side in the living room trying to keep him penned in. He crawls very well and even stands on his own for several seconds at a time. Anyway, like the early American pioneers who realized the Cumberland Gap was the easiest northern route across the Appalachian Mountains, Joey found the easiest route across G... my head! He's a smart guy and quickly realized that my head was lower than my shoulders and would thus be easier to climb over. So he spent most of his time trying to crawl over my head.

He was getting tired so I changed his diaper and got him into his PJs. I was exhausted when I was finished. He squirmed the entire time. I felt like I was trying to pin a World Wrestling Federation champion!

When Amy and Brianna got back from lacrosse, Brianna had just enough time to show me the PowerPoint presentation she had done for school. She is 7 and in first grade. I can't imagine learning how to use PowerPoint in the first grade! It was all about penguins and was really quite good. Her teacher helped some, but still! I know quite a few adults who would not have a clue if told to make a set of PowerPoint slides. I'm not going to West Virginia this weekend and am hoping the rain holds off so I can go to Brianna's lacrosse game on Saturday morning.

After the kids went to bed, Amy and I chatted for a couple of hours before I came home. Her hubby is off on an 8-month training assignment for the Army, so she really enjoys the adult interaction. And I enjoy visiting with her. TJ, her hubby, isn't that far away and does get to come home on weekends, which is good for Amy and the kids. Amy in particular...three kids, wonderful and sweet as they are, are exhausting.

Next Wednesday, after I visit with Amy and the kids for a bit, I'm going to hang out with some friends I haven't seen for quite a while. I'm excited. They live near Amy, which is about 40+ miles north of here. I'll spend the night at Amy's house and work from there the following day, which just happens to be April's Thirsty Third Thursday. Earlier this year, or later last year, I can't remember which, Shannon, my eldest daughter, Amy and I decided to start a monthly tradition. We meet for dinner and drinks on the third Thursday of every month. It is a great way for the three of us to catch up with each other.

With TJ away, we're just going to hang out at Amy's house so she doesn't have to worry about a babysitter. Although Mike, my dear hubby, volunteered to watch the kids next month so we can actually go out. I have to remember to tell the girls that before next month gets here!

Other than work, that was the extent of my day. All in all, it was a good one. But now it is late and I need to get to bed!

Thanks for dropping in.

1 comment:

  1. HaHa!! I knew what I picked up off the floor later that night looked like a mini m&m. I thought...we haven't had any of these - where did this come from??? Now the truth comes out :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please say something...