Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Lot of This is Mental

Soup To Nutz

It's funny how much of this training stuff is mental. To me, running three miles seems daunting. But running for 30 minutes sounds easy. Right? Well, if I jog for 30 minutes straight, I'll have likely covered at least two, maybe three miles. Depending on my pace of course.

If this training regimen was laid out in miles, I probably wouldn't be doing this. Especially considering where I was when I started. Not that I'm ready for a marathon or anything, but I'm a good bit better off than I was when I started.

Take this morning. I actually wanted to get out there and train. I think it's because I was curious to see if I could actually do three, five-minute jogs.

And you know what? I did. It made me feel pretty good. It may sound pathetic to some folks, but I'm working in baby steps here. In my opinion, I'm doing well.

So well, in fact, that I decided to go ahead and buy some new running apparel. The first item on the list was real running shorts. The kind with a liner, so I can ditch the drawers while running. I hate having to peel off sweaty underwear (sorry for that scary mental image).

I bought some new shoes, too. I actually bought the shoes over the Internet because I could save $35 by doing so. That's a lot. And the place I got them was offering free shipping and free return shipping, so it was a win-win situation. Hopefully, they'll arrive next week.

Speaking of next week... Monday, my regimen changes to jog 10/walk 5, repeating once (a total of 30 minutes), three days a week.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how motivating new clothes or shoes can be! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please say something...