Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday Morning Smackdown

I did something completely different today. I went to a Saturday Morning Smackdown. It was really cool, too!

My five-year-old grandson, Gaige, is a wrestler. He just started wrestling a few months ago. I went to one of his tournaments today. It was not really called a "smackdown," though.

I know NOTHING about wrestling, other than the fact that Gaige really seems to enjoy it. You won't get any in-depth play-by-play from me, but you will get some pictures, of course.

Here he is getting a pre-match pep talk from Dad (my son-in-law, TJ).

Last-minute pointers right before the match.

The first match didn't go so well for Gaige.

But he sure was having fun.

Look at the joy on the boy's face.

This is my favorite shot of the day. I knew it as soon as I snapped it. I call it, The Agony of Defeat. He wasn't nearly as dejected as he looks here. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't like losing, but he likes wrestling.

The other kids were there, too, as were some of TJ's relatives.

Here's Brianna talking to TJ's Aunt Cheryl.

Joey staked out his own spot near the window. Here he is enjoying a morning snack.

Most kids would just use their fingers, not a spoon. But Joey is very independent and definitely walks to the beat of his own drum.

Joey's cousin, Lucy, shared his space occasionally, too.

This was right before Gaige's second match. Dad, who was coach for the day, is getting Gaige good and primed to kick some little "tot" (his weight class) butt.

Gaige did much better in the second match. His opponent was quickly frustrated.

Look at that focus. Remember, these kids are only five. And Gaige has only been wrestling for a few months.

This is near the end of Match #2, which he ultimately won. Look closely and you'll see Gaige is still smiling.

It was a fun way to spend the morning.

If you'd like to see all of the pics from today, CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say something...